Sunday, May 24, 2009

Trying the Food Again

One of the frustrating things about this trip is being unable to find local food that is palatable. Everything looks so inedible to me. I stumbled upon a market similar to the Eastern Market in Detroit. It has the usual fruits and veggies...but also some interesting extras. See if you can recognize these things.






There's a restaurant nearby, so I try to give it one last try. I enter and they quickly get the young girl who knows English. I ask her to recommend something from the menu. She points and says, "very good!". I am encouraged, so I order. There is also beer. Oh good, at least something familiar is on the table. I lift one forkful of the food, fill my mouth and then I pray my strongest prayer. God listens to my supplication and I do not throw the stuff up. I look up and there is a line of onlookers 7 or 8 strong hovering over my table. I smile and give the thumbs up. I shove another piece down my throat and immediately chase it with beer. This time I was almost forsaken by the Lord. This was not going to be easy. I had eaten only three pieces and there were six left. I quickly deflect attention off myself by grabbing my camera. It is at this point that I am beginning to realize that the Chinese, particularly the males are not enamored with getting their picture taken. So pointing the camera at them has the effect of scattering the crowd. I take this opportunity to gather myself, ask for the check from the waitress, pay and leave gracefully. We wave goodbye as I leave, and I swear, I 'aint never coming back. I am running now, and they can keep their strange looking fish and their ducks and geese hanging in the window. They can keep their nasty tasting, weird looking fruit, their cow faces, and their smell of China. I'm going to McDonalds!

No comments:

Post a Comment