Saturday, May 23, 2009

Advice for Business Travelers

A 5 star hotel is definitely worth it. I'm not saying this as an excuse to wallow in luxury. There are just too many things a traveling businessperson needs to worry about than to be thinking about their accommodations. I mean, after a really grueling day in the field, do I really want to come back to a room that is infested with mosquitoes? Sometimes it's just the little details that make a business trip: Fresh water in room. A fax machine. A deep soaking tub. I used to think those were extravagant indulgences. Now I am beginning to understand that sometimes those things can make that week long convention just bearable for the business traveler. I discovered this when I checked out of the 5 star hotel in Shenzhen to a 3 star down the street. It was a worthwhile experiment. The 3 star was nicely setup and styled and a great bargain for the price (about $50) with Ikea-like furniture and convenient location, but I got eaten alive by bugs and it wasn't English friendly or business friendly.

This makes me come to the conclusion that a 4 or 5 star hotel is not a luxury, but a necessity for the weary businessman. So all you lonely travelers, buck up and make the boss flip for the Hilton instead of the Holiday Inn.

No comments:

Post a Comment