Sunday, May 24, 2009

My First Impressions of Hong Kong.




I'm riding the train to Hong Kong. Hong Kong is off the coast of mainland China. The train is not like the train ride from Guangzhou. It is more like the subway in New York, except much cleaner. Clean like an airport. It is late and I am dog tired. I can see glimpses of Hong Kong outside the windows, but only moments. The stops go by, and the Chinese get on and off. At least I can understand now where I am going, everything is in English as well as Chinese. I transfer twice before I get to my destination stop. From there it is a short taxi ride to the Panda Hotel. My welcoming committee to Hong Kong is Fred. Fred is the Roly-Poly taxi driver who is bubbling with words and thoughts. He is the epitome of how Hong Kong is different from mainland China. While the proud people of the mainland are silent and stoic, Fred is full of life and animation. He cracks jokes, tells anecdotes, and makes exaggerated expressions. I cannot believe he is related to the Chinese in Guangzhou.

It is apparent that Hong Kong culture has a different history than the rest of China. The automobiles are right hand drive and they drive on the left side of roads, hinting of roots as a British colony. They are gregarious and more comfortable with foreigners. They embrace western lifestyles. They drive very civil, unlike the kamikaze style in Shenzhen, and most noticeable of all is the air. The smell of China is absent from this place. All this I could percieve within my first 15 minutes of being here. I only wish I had more time to spend with these people but alas, I will leave on the plane tomorrow afternoon.

I arrive at the Panda too soon. I did not get to hear the end of Fred's story. How I miss communication! The hotel lobby is what I have come to expect from Asian architects, but my room is stark. I have to pay for the internet. I have to call for an ironing board and iron. It's the details that are missing. Still the cost is very economical. I could not get this for the same price in the States. Room + internet costs are $460 HKD.

I can't wait to explore, but I'm so tired and I still have some last minute business to perform, so my spelunking will have to wait until the morning. I don't even bother to look out my window. It is approaching the final hour of my stay in China and I have yet to have an enjoyable meal. This fact will not change tonight. Tonight I will sleep.


No comments:

Post a Comment