Monday, May 25, 2009

Hong Kong awaits...
















The city was calling. I awoke at the crack of dawn, eager to drill for HK's pleasures. A delightful breakfast was had in the dining room, the best meal I've enjoyed in China. The cuisine was a mix of east and west and I enjoyed both. Kimchi and poached eggs on the same plate. Jasmine tea. Hash browns. Note to self: Eat at hotel. The people strolling in were from different parts of Asia. I had fun watching their pecualiarities. Almost as much fun as I had consuming food that didn't threaten my intestines to mutiny. It was a good start to the day.

My first thoughts as I stepped off the shuttle bus into the heart of Hong Kong, was "WOW". And then, "Oh". Hong Kong is much more westernized than the rest of China, but this also makes it less interesting to me. There is all the shopping y0u and your mother could ever want. There is luxury: Louis Vuitton, Prada, Armami... everyone showed up to play. Also it seems that every third person is a tailor in Hong Kong. I was constantly harrased by someone wanting to make a custom suit for me. There are skyscrapers for days and they are set off by the beautiful mountain landscape. The city seems new and clean. There are more foreigners here, but I find it strange that in all my time in China, I have yet to find anyone who looks like me. Still I can't help but feel like I am just in a larger, cleaner version of Manhattan or Chicago or Los Angeles. I much prefer the less refined simplicity of mainland China. To be fair, I've had little time to explore beyond the touristy city center. There is so much more for me to see here, it is unwise to pass judgment.

So I did my business, collected cards, exchanged pleasantries, and off I went to catch my plane. My adventures were over in China.








No comments:

Post a Comment